When you’re in the business of putting the right speakers with the right clients in the right places with ALL the right components, there are certain times of the year where the calendar looks so packed that you begin to wonder if a few hours’ sleep a night or even a bathroom break are more suggestions than necessities. There’s a lot to keep together, and our crackerjack event coordinators really lean into the juggling act during this busiest month of all.
Here are a few thoughts to help you keep a cool head when the pressure is on:
- Practice self-care. I know, I know – “But there’s too much to do!” I believe in the philosophy that you can’t pour from an empty cup. Like great athletes during peak seasons, hydrate, make time for sleep, fuel up with healthy food, take your vitamins, and talk things out! What I love about our team is that they ARE a team. If someone is careening towards overwhelm, they have always got each other’s back, both in terms of workload and support. Ultimately, it’s that connection to people combined with the right tools of the trade that keeps burnout at bay.
- Keep AMAZING notes. The truth is you can’t remember everything, especially when you are playing beat-the-clock. So, whether you are arranging transportation, managing client expectations, pulling resources together or working with a speaker – or more likely, all of the above – don’t rely on your memory to serve you consistently. When possible, use a conference call line with the ability to record, take copious notes and organize your notes in a way that makes it the most easily understood and accessible for YOU.
- Systems rock. At cmi, we don’t leave a lot to chance. With some of the best speakers in the world relying on us to help them successfully bring their message to the masses (and show up at the right place at the right time) – we know what works and what doesn’t. That’s important because it’s really easy for things to fall through the cracks if you don’t have a streamlined, well-tested system in place for getting every event from start to finish.
- Technology tools are vital. Our business involves communication all over the globe; we couldn’t do that effectively if it weren’t for the tech tools that keep us ahead of the curve in terms ofschedules, reminders, dates, client information, transportation, and logistical hurdles. Find the tools that work best for your team and make them part of the system you can rely on.
- Ducks in a row. What keeps team members from hitting a wall during the busiest of times is all the action they take during the slower months. Savvy coordinators use off-months to prepare well and have their ducks in a row so that when the calendar gets crazy, they don’t feel the stress nearly as much. This includes REALLY getting to their systems, their co-workers and their clients. The more you know, the easier it is to make decisions on the fly and put the pieces of the event puzzle together faster.
It’s all hands-on deck around here during this busy time of year, and I just want to note that I am incredibly proud of the team we have. They make this juggling act of events look easy and keep their wits (and wittiness) about them while they are at it. Great job team!
If there is something we can do to help YOU juggle the events for your organization, let us know. It’s something we are very passionate about!
Catching up in LA, we spoke about the lessons that studios like Marvel can teach other organizations about digital transformation, and how we are just at the beginning of a new renaissance in AI-powered creativity.
How Keynoters are Making a Difference
Our world is noisy, chaotic, frustrating, even fearful for many. I believe that is why organizations of every conceivable size are stepping up to bring people together to hear empowering messages from today’s keynote speakers. The kind of messages that move people to take action in their lives, to find balance, to believe in the power of relationships, to feel hope – and to adopt change as the necessary ingredient of success that it is. These speakers are working for way more than an ovation – they are “turning on the lightbulbs” for audiences who often feel like there’s too much darkness.
It’s exciting when they connect. When an audience member internalizes a message that anything’s possible in a time where many are feeling as if their heads are bumping against glass ceilings. When you’re in the room with a world-class speaker – whether they are speaking to 50 or 1,000 - you can feel the change occur. When what’s raging in the news media or outside the conference venue seems fractional compared to the growth and mindset shifts you witness taking place in the room. People are laughing – and they’re learning. People are on the edge of their seat and eager for more. That’s the difference words from the right people at the right time can make.
From keynote speakers who can move leaders to become more accountable and provide a culture where creativity and collaboration can flourish, to speakers who share how we are more alike as human beings than we are different and speak on the power of diversity, global citizenship, and every kind of speaker in between – these voices are resonating with today’s audiences. People need return on investment – and they need real-world solutions. They need productivity propellers – and they also need to laugh out loud. They need to see the big picture, at the same time recognizing how very much little things matter.
Working with speakers who have the immense talent to move people from where they are to where they want and need to be is a passion of every member of our team. We recognize the tremendous work they do to elevate audience experiences – and deliver take-aways that can literally change the lives and careers of others. In a world with a whole lot of noise, it’s exceptional to sit in an audience so silent and captivated by a speaker there’s almost an electricity in the room – this is why we do what we do. We know helping our speakers share their vision, missions, and messages changes the world for the better. We’re pretty darn proud of that. To all the speakers and clients we work with daily to deliver success strategies, leadership, sales, service, humor, and so much more – a nod of thanks for allowing us to be part of the process.