You and your teams are closer to mastery than you think. Here are some simple steps that will raise the level of performance in your organization considerably and will cost you nothing.
- Most people know what they need to do, and just don’t do it.
- Most people have the tools they need, and just don’t use them.
- Most people know that toxic thoughts sabotage success, but do nothing to change them.
- Most people look for the cool new philosophy and the latest tactic when mastery is always about a relentless focus on fundamentals.
- Most people are surrounded by others in your organization who are experts at what they need to learn, and just don’t ask.
- Most people are experts at something others need to learn, and just don’t share.
- Most people are content with the level of acceptable, good enough, or what’s required, and quit far short of personal best.
So, how do groups and individuals become masters?
First, DON’T BE LIKE MOST PEOPLE!
True masters are different; they swim not just against the tide but above it. This is a mindset you can inspire, creating a culture of Outliers. Mastery is a higher calling.
Masters know that real success comes long after it would have been prudent to quit after the “smart people” have all given up. An Olympic gold medalist was asked how he became good enough to win? He said, “Well, on mornings when I felt good I worked hard. And then on mornings when I didn’t feel good, I worked hard.” ‘Nuff said.
So… the most simple step toward mastery? Don’t be like most people!
- Do the thing you know you need to but just haven't.
- Fully use the tools you have right there in front of you (many of my clients have this challenge)
- Bravely refuse to entertain toxic thoughts
- Always, intentionally and always focus on fundamentals
- Create opportunities for your people to share best practices
- And, most importantly, get everyone to make what I call “The Virtuoso Decision,” to become a virtuoso, to pursue mastery and personal best beyond what’s required.
Begin creating your culture of mastery today!