When you’re in the business of putting the right speakers with the right clients in the right places with ALL the right components, there are certain times of the year where the calendar looks so packed that you begin to wonder if a few hours’ sleep a night or even a bathroom break are more suggestions than necessities. There’s a lot to keep together, and our crackerjack event coordinators really lean into the juggling act during this busiest month of all.
Here are a few thoughts to help you keep a cool head when the pressure is on:
- Practice self-care. I know, I know – “But there’s too much to do!” I believe in the philosophy that you can’t pour from an empty cup. Like great athletes during peak seasons, hydrate, make time for sleep, fuel up with healthy food, take your vitamins, and talk things out! What I love about our team is that they ARE a team. If someone is careening towards overwhelm, they have always got each other’s back, both in terms of workload and support. Ultimately, it’s that connection to people combined with the right tools of the trade that keeps burnout at bay.
- Keep AMAZING notes. The truth is you can’t remember everything, especially when you are playing beat-the-clock. So, whether you are arranging transportation, managing client expectations, pulling resources together or working with a speaker – or more likely, all of the above – don’t rely on your memory to serve you consistently. When possible, use a conference call line with the ability to record, take copious notes and organize your notes in a way that makes it the most easily understood and accessible for YOU.
- Systems rock. At cmi, we don’t leave a lot to chance. With some of the best speakers in the world relying on us to help them successfully bring their message to the masses (and show up at the right place at the right time) – we know what works and what doesn’t. That’s important because it’s really easy for things to fall through the cracks if you don’t have a streamlined, well-tested system in place for getting every event from start to finish.
- Technology tools are vital. Our business involves communication all over the globe; we couldn’t do that effectively if it weren’t for the tech tools that keep us ahead of the curve in terms ofschedules, reminders, dates, client information, transportation, and logistical hurdles. Find the tools that work best for your team and make them part of the system you can rely on.
- Ducks in a row. What keeps team members from hitting a wall during the busiest of times is all the action they take during the slower months. Savvy coordinators use off-months to prepare well and have their ducks in a row so that when the calendar gets crazy, they don’t feel the stress nearly as much. This includes REALLY getting to their systems, their co-workers and their clients. The more you know, the easier it is to make decisions on the fly and put the pieces of the event puzzle together faster.
It’s all hands-on deck around here during this busy time of year, and I just want to note that I am incredibly proud of the team we have. They make this juggling act of events look easy and keep their wits (and wittiness) about them while they are at it. Great job team!
If there is something we can do to help YOU juggle the events for your organization, let us know. It’s something we are very passionate about!